Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Smocking again

As I've alluded to several times, I have a problem juggling time and getting back to sewing and crafting but as I try to coax my creative side back to life, I feel my head start to swim with ideas and aspirations. Before I left on my recent trip to South Africa, I was determined to take some handwork with me so I put together a smocking project. I have several great nieces, but one is going to be three in July.  I decided I would make a little dress for her birthday.

Time to admit : I have a stash of fabric in my sewing room and I can reach in there at any given time and come up with a project {truth is many, many projects without leaving home and spending a dime}....but a few months ago I was in a quilting shop and I became excited about these "new" fabrics and I indulged in them. Now I'm curious to see how they will look as a finished garment.  I shall mention here that my niece, the mommy, is a lover of all colours of purple!




What does it feel like to have handwork again?  It's been years really since I had a sizable project but it's starting to feel familiar - like reacquainting with an old friend.  It didn't take long for it all to come back to me.  I started off looking at a pattern, but true to old form, I'm already off and doing my own design.

But here's the kicker, the pressure is on....the birthday girl lives in Perth {yes, as in "Down Under"!} and I need to allow at least a week to ten days to mail it.  In the end, I didn't have a lot of time to sew on my trip and I did not get very far.  I must get cracking this weekend and at least finish the smocking part.  Here are a couple of pics so far and I'll be sure to post a finished one later.




No comments:

Post a Comment