Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

PS. I love green too!


When people tell me that they associate me with blue, I tell them I have never met a colour that I don't like!

I am crazy about all colours really.  My home sports a lot of blue and white so that is why it is natural to assume I am a blue freak {and I am!}  But I really groove on all colours, be they pastel, bright or dull and somewhere inbetween.  It makes it hard for me to have a cohesively decorated house that flows because I have blues and then greens and then browns and blues and then red, black and white.  Oh well.  I love it all so that's what counts, right?

Recently, when contemplating redecorating what we call "the hall bathroom", I bought a shower curtain.  This is something I have not done in the past.  I have always sewn all the drapes, valances, comforters and duvet covers, cushions, and certainly something as easy as a shower curtain.  I just happened to see one that I really, really liked and it was sort of an impulse buy.  The colours sucked me in - that marvelous lime green, and also the leaves.  I haven't told you yet how much I love leaves!  Leaves are a recurring theme throughout my house and even my wardrobe with scarves I've made.  Yes, funny I'd love leaves this much because {in my new life} keeping up with them in the Fall, they have become the bane of my existence and one of the {many} reasons I don't get to craft or sew.


Back to the hall bathroom, I have just recently done a wee bit of updating with taking out a boxed-in fluorescent light and adding a new fixture, and then replacing the medicine cabinet with mirror-backed glass shelves - this was Susannah's brilliant idea and I'm doing it in my bathroom as well.  I replaced the mirror with a framed one that a friend found for a song, and then other things like taking down the wallpaper with Waverly ivy-violet border {what made me love that in 1998?}, new knobs on the cabinet and painting the walls {actually a neutral color, although I did contemplate lime green.  OK I made a mistake - I did have lime green mixed, brought it home and chickened out...it was going to be too insanely green :) }  


I needed something on the wall where a wicker shelf had been, and then I spied 4 unfinished mirrors that I'd bought from Ikea a few years ago and done nothing with.  I have no idea what I planned to do with those mirrors when I bought them, but I suddenly thought: aha they'll be perfect! I haven't painted anything with my craft paints in a long time, so I fished around.  I came up with some paint Shannon and I mixed for a garden bench years ago - green, but the wrong shade and then I did find some lime AND....I found some crackle glaze from who knows what year that I had never used.  My brain started into overdrive as I contemplated how to proceed.  I wanted the lime on the outside but whatever you paint underneath shows through the crackle, but the mixed green from the bench would be fine for the under color.  I don't have enough experience with this, and I obviously didn't paint on a thick enough coat of the crackle glaze, but I love how they look - even the spot where I put my finger {by accident} and there's a blotch.  Yep, that spot of lime green is just what that blank wall needed.  {oh, and I painted an old basket from the Goodwill pile for hand towels, and the ivy leaves on the laundry hamper...I'll unabashedly admit that I went a bit wild with the lime green!}










Glass shelves aren't in the "opening" yet.  Coming next week :)






1 comment: